One night in 1943, nearly ten percent of the world’s population over age forty developed mysterious new abilities. The results were catastrophic. Every year since then, a small but significant number of older adults have gained strange new powers or undergone major physical transformations, and the world has never been the same.
A third of the population carries the potential to “roll into power,” but no one can predict which few will actually go through the change. The one tragic certainty is that rolling before forty is a death sentence. Passing into middle age might be uneventful except for extra candles on the birthday cake, or it might lead to becoming a human fireball, drowning a city, or teleporting into outer space.
Rough Passages contains the stories of five people forever changed and connected by the power that comes into their lives:
1. A single mother with two jobs whose new talent improves her life beyond her wildest dreams.
2. A Marine captain tasked with investigating the all-too-human crimes a squad of superhuman soldiers can commit.
3. A lonely woman whose desperate homesickness is matched in strength only by her ability to wreak seismic havoc.
4. A grandmother, torn from home and family, abused and imprisoned, who must choose between revenge and forgiveness.
5. A teenager afraid to take the R-factor test that will define her future, who learns there are worse things to fear than a positive result.
When every midlife crisis might cause a national emergency, life gets complicated for everyone.
Submit a bargain or free book
Want to see your bargain or free book listed on ENT? Click below to submit.
Submit your book of the day
Want to be featured as a book of the day on ENT? Click below to get started.