Kindle 2 Tips

Here are some tips and tricks for using the Kindle 2. I will continually update this page with new tips and tricks as I find them. Please send me some of your own tips if you don’t see them included here.

• Short Cuts For The Kindle 2 – For Kindle 2 short cuts go here: Kindle 2 Short Cuts
  • Delete Book Samples – Go to ‘Home’ screen, use 5-way to underline sample you want to delete, move 5-way to the left and select delete.
  • Sleep/Wake – Slide and release the power switch.
  • Time – Just press the ‘Menu’ button and the time will appear at the top of the screen.
  • Jump from page 1 to page 4 (or any page) of your Home screen Press ‘4’ (or whatever page number you want to go to) and then press the 5-way.
  • Turn Wireless Off – Press ‘Menu’ button, scroll to top with 5-way and select ‘Turn Wireless Off’.
  • Text To Speech – You can do this three ways.
    1. While reading a book, press the ‘Aa'(text) button and use 5-way to scroll to ‘Text-to-Speech’ and select.
    2. While reading a book, press the ‘Menu’ button, scroll down to ‘Start Text-to-Speech’ and select.
    To turn off Text-to-Speech use the same steps.
    3.Hold down the ‘Shift’ and ‘SYM’ keys. This will turn Text-to-Speech on and off.

• Change Text To Speech Settings – By pressing the ‘Aa’ button while Text-to-Speech is on you can pause, change the speech rate, and change the speaking voice between male and female.
  • Use Dictionary To Look Up Words As You Read As you’re reading you can highlight a word and at the bottom of the screen you will have the definition of that word.
  • Get Free Books From The Kindle Store When you go to visit the Kindle store at Amazon type “-domain” into the search box and it will bring up a list of free books for your Kindle.
  • Go To Kindle Store Press ‘alt’ key then ‘home’ button and you will go straight to the Kindle store.
  • To Get A Screen Shot From Your Kindle 2 Press ‘Alt’ ‘Shift’ then ‘G’ to get a screen shot from your Kindle 2 that you can download to your computer.
  • Charge The Kindle 2 Two Ways – You can charge the Kindle 2 by plugging it into a wall socket or by plugging it into your computer with the USB cable.
    Be Sociable, Share!

{ 20 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Ernestine Rose November 25, 2013 at 3:58 pm

How do i advertise my own books at bargain prices, 99 cents or free? I’d like to beef up my promotion for the holidays. Other sites have memberships where i fill in my data, even excerpts.

2 kATHY February 10, 2013 at 1:54 am

I received my Kindle Fire Last Christmas and because I,m not to Computer smart I,m still don,t know what I can do with. I need a book. Can you help me find the right one to buy?

3 cindy August 17, 2012 at 9:52 am

Does the Kindle fire NOT have text to speech option? I can not find out how to turn mine on even with the instructions.

4 Carol G June 12, 2012 at 7:12 am

Hey Folks, Go to ENT Ereader news Today to get all the free kindle books you want. They have as many as 40 per day. Also try Bookbub too and Pixel of Ink is another great site for free books. Then they’ll be no complaining of no free books you have plenty.
Enjoy,

5 Theresa May 5, 2012 at 6:28 am

I can download pictures to my Kidle Fire from Facebook….but cannot upload them. Tell me how please. Also…cannot change photos on Facebook. I think it’s only allowed on the phone with a memory card or on the computer.

6 Theresa May 5, 2012 at 6:22 am

I can download pictures from F

7 Mary Wrolstad February 19, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I entered domain in search box and I got 6 books with domain in title.

8 Linda Flugel January 27, 2012 at 1:34 am

I have ordered several “free” books from this website, and they are not going to my Kindle. Help!!!

9 Hanne January 23, 2012 at 1:48 pm

i downloaded a book but all i got was the front cover
tried reloding still not working works on Pc but not on Kindle Fire

10 Lynn Vargo January 14, 2012 at 1:58 pm

On my old Kindle, I could turn my wifi off and my charge lasted for almost a month. Now on my new Fire Kindle, I can’t figure out how to turn off the wifi. I have to charge my Fire every few days! Can anyone help me?

11 Donna Y January 10, 2012 at 11:46 am

Did the domain link for free ebooks and it worked. If you refine low to high your free books come up first. Now the question I need an answer to: Can I use text to speech with the Kindle Fire. I tried using the tips on this page but could not find that setting. Thanks

12 Hampton Noe December 6, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Very interesting. Good luck resolving. I’ll check back.

13 Karen Smith October 3, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I downloaded a book to my kindle and now I cant find it. Tried again to download but said I had already bought the book. Said to look under archieves, but not there either. Help please.

14 BabzC September 2, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Cathy- the tip was for quickly navigating from page to page on your home screen where all your book titles are listed. If you are new to Kindle, you may only have one page. I have my books categorized by Collections and that only covers two pages. This is only a handy tip if you have lots of books/items listed by Title or Author.

You can’t find pages within a book – only the location number. The pages are fluid in the books to allow you to adjust the size of the font. Hope this helps.

15 fran June 21, 2011 at 9:48 am

I have a Kindle 2 3G. I am trying to use google voice for text messaging but the display doesn’t work, it does work on Kindle 3 Any suggestions?

16 Cathy June 16, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I’m very new to Kindle. Re the fifth tip about page numbers. I don’t see page numbers–just the % line at the bottom. How do I get page numbers?

17 marylou November 30, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Linda– Go to the Kindle Storefront, then to Kindle top sellers. On the top right go to Kindle top 100 free.

Alice- go to menu, settings, menu,restart. This should reset your clock.

18 Alice October 19, 2010 at 5:17 am

i just noticed that the time on my Kindle 2 is off by 4 hours [i am on east coast] it is 5:16 AM and kindle says 1:16 AM, how do i correct the time on my kindle?

19 admin May 17, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Linda,
I just typed in “domain” in the Kindle store search box and on the first page 11 out of the 12 books were free. Maybe you had a typo when you did your search. Try it again – Make sure you’re in the Kindle Store when you do try it. Let me know if you’re still not coming up with the free books.
Greg

20 Linda Estrada May 14, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I just tried the tip to bring up free book on the Kindle, but over 1.2 of the ebooks are not free! i looked at 150 pgs & only saw 5 free books. Maybe this tip is no longer working? I don’t know, but love what you guys are doing here! Thanks

{ 1 trackback }